Singapore 

MOH, SFA investigating after 18 typhoid fever cases in 3 weeks, Singapore News

This involves interviewing affected individuals to identify common links and collecting food and water samples for testing. Household members of those who fell ill have also been tested and advised to seek medical help if they develop symptoms, said the ministry and SFA. In cases where the affected individuals are also food handlers, they will not be allowed to work until they have fully recovered. “As an added precaution, MOH has informed doctors through an alert to remain vigilant and report typhoid fever cases.” Dr Leong Hoe Nam, an infectious…

Read More
Singapore 

Delay in eating food from Spize may have contributed to man’s death: MOH official, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – A man who died after eating food from popular restaurant Spize had consumed it more than three hours after its delivery. The coroner’s court heard on Thursday (Aug 15) that the delay may have contributed to Mr Mohamad Fadli Mohd Saleh’s death on Nov 14 last year. The bento boxes were sent to the Kaki Bukit office of security company Brink’s Singapore at 11.33am on Nov 6 last year and an invoice from the eatery stated that the food had to be eaten within an hour of delivery. The invoice…

Read More
Singapore 

MOH, CPF Board address allegations that cancer-stricken woman forced to seek treatment at private hospitals, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – The Health Ministry (MOH) and the Central Provident Fund (CPF) Board have issued a statement to correct what they described as misleading information that had been put out after a couple went public with their difficulties in paying for cancer treatment. The statement on Friday (July 12) denied allegations that the cancer-stricken wife was forced to seek private treatment at Parkway Cancer Centre (PCC) and Mount Elizabeth Hospital, and not the National of University of Hospital. MOH and the CPF Board also highlighted the help made available to…

Read More
Singapore 

59 food poisoning cases at 2 welfare homes in Pelangi Village; MOH, SFA investigating, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – The authorities are investigating after 59 people fell ill from eating food at two homes at Pelangi Village, a social welfare complex in Buangkok. In a joint reply on Wednesday (May 22), the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the Singapore Food Agency (SFA) said that there were 22 cases of gastroenteritis from Angsana Home and 37 from Banyan Home as of noon on Monday. All 59 experienced symptoms from May 14 to 18, the statement said. Eleven of those affected had to be hospitalised. While three of them…

Read More
Singapore 

Quarantine ends for 18 people who came into close contact with monkeypox patient: MOH, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – The quarantine period has ended for 18 people who came into close contact with a Nigerian man infected with monkeypox. The remaining four are expected to be released in the coming week after 21 days of quarantine if they continue to show no symptoms, the Ministry of Health (MOH) said on Tuesday (May 21). It added that the last person is scheduled to complete the quarantine on May 28. The victim, however, is still hospitalised at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID) where he is believed to…

Read More
Singapore 

MOH confirms first case of monkeypox in Singapore, Singapore, Health News

SINGAPORE – The Ministry of Health has confirmed one imported case of monkeypox infection in Singapore, involving a Nigerian national who arrived last month for a workshop. The 38-year-old man tested positive for the rare viral disease, which is primarily transmitted to humans from animals, on Wednesday (May 8), said MOH on Thursday. It is the first case of monkeypox reported here. He is currently in an isolation ward at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID), and is in stable condition. Meanwhile, 22 out of 23 individuals who have…

Read More
Singapore 

Eleven known cases of super fungus Candida auris infections in Singapore since 2012: MOH, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – There were 11 isolated cases of Candida auris infections at public hospitals here since 2012 but no outbreak was reported, a Ministry of Health (MOH) spokesman said on Tuesday (April 9) in response to queries. Two of the patients found to be infected with the antifungal-resistant germ died while the other nine recovered. Three patients, including one of the two patients who died, were treated at the Singapore General Hospital between 2012 and 2017, it said on Monday. The MOH spokesman said: “The cases were immediately isolated and…

Read More
Singapore 

22 students from NUS residential college down with gastroenteritis symptoms, MOH and SFA investigating, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – More than 20 students of a residential college at the National University of Singapore (NUS) have fallen ill after eating food from the accommodation’s dining hall. A source familiar with the situation told The Straits Times on Thursday (April 4) that the students had dined at the Ridge View Residential College on Tuesday and Wednesday. A majority of them ate food from the Malay food counter, the source said. There are also Western and Asian food options served at the dining hall, which is run by Chartwells. The…

Read More
Singapore 

MOH, AVA and NEA investigating gastroenteritis outbreak at Tanglin MindChamps pre-school, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – The authorities are investigating an outbreak of gastroenteritis at a Tanglin MindChamps pre-school, the Ministry of Health (MOH), Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) and the National Environment Agency (NEA) said in a joint statement on Tuesday (Feb 26). Thirty-one people have developed gastroenteritis symptoms as of 12pm on Tuesday, the authorities said. Of the 31 people, two were hospitalised but have since been discharged. In response to queries, the Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA) said that it was looking into the incident alongside MOH, NEA and…

Read More
Singapore 

US court grants MOH temporary restraining order against Brochez, American at centre of HIV data leak, Singapore News

The Ministry of Health (MOH) has been granted a temporary restraining order by a US court against the American who stole and leaked information from Singapore’s HIV database, The Straits Times has learnt. The order, given last Tuesday, temporarily prohibits Mikhy Brochez from disclosing any information from the ministry. It came ahead of last Friday’s arrest of the 34-year-old, who has been charged in a Kentucky court in the United States with the possession and unlawful transfer of stolen identification documents. US court documents obtained by The Straits Times shed…

Read More