Singapore 

Burning smell in north-east Singapore likely related to fire at landfill in Pasir Gudang: NEA, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – A burning smell in north-east Singapore is likely related to a fire at the Tanjong Langsat landfill in Pasir Gudang, Johor, the National Environment Agency (NEA) said. The agency told The Straits Times on Sunday (Feb 17) that it received nine feedback cases on the smell between Friday evening and 11pm on Saturday. Eight of them were received after 6pm on Saturday. Several netizens living in Yishun, Ang Mo Kio, Sengkang and Hougang also reported a “smoky” or “smoggy” smell on social media. Reddit user blahhh87 said he…

Read More
Singapore 

Man set fire to own home as he was angry over his mother’s nagging, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – Angry with his mother who had nagged at him the night before, a man set fire to his own home and caused nearly $31,000 in damages. Roslan, 37, who goes by only one name, was jailed for five years on Thursday (Feb 14) after pleading guilty to one count of committing mischief by fire. He lived in a Yishun flat with his mother, Madam Salbiah Musa, and younger brother, Mr Saleh Muhamad Jamal. The court heard that Madam Salbiah had nagged at him on Sept 6 last year,…

Read More
Home 

Hong Kong stocks fall, China opens flat as investors hold fire ahead of trade war truce deadline

China’s benchmark stock indexes were trading flat on Tuesday morning after starting the Lunar New Year strong on Monday, while Hong Kong shares opened lower. Traders said that after the rebound enjoyed by both the China and Hong Kong bourses so far this year, investors had recoiled from making further big bets ahead of news from US-China trade negotiations in Beijing later this week. The Hang Seng Index opened down 0.41 per cent, or 115.2 points, at 28,028.66. “The Hang Seng Index has risen by as much as 3,000 points…

Read More
Singapore 

Overheating wok leads to fire at Telok Blangah hawker centre, 12 stalls affected, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – A fire broke out at a hawker centre in Telok Blangah on Monday morning (Feb 11). At least 12 stalls were affected after the gas supply was cut as a result, Chinese paper Shin Min Daily News reported. The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said that it responded to the fire at 11 Telok Blangah Crescent at 9.08am. The fire involved a wok in a hawker stall, the SCDF said. No injuries were reported. The first firefighter who arrived at the scene observed flames coming from a partially…

Read More
Singapore 

‘Don’t give up!’ Messages pour in after fire at 80-year-old Tampines temple, engineers to carry out checks on Tuesday, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – The fire that destroyed the altar and several statuettes at Poh Ann Keng Taoist temple in Tampines on Saturday (Feb 9), broke out at 3am, the temple said in a Facebook post. In the post uploaded at about 10.30pm on Saturday, the fifth day of Chinese New Year, Poh Ann Keng also thanked those who had expressed concern and offered support to the temple. A Poh Ann Keng spokesman told The Straits Times that engineers will be conducting checks on the structure of the temple on Tuesday. “We…

Read More
Singapore 

Fire causes $300k in damage at 80-year-old Taoist temple in Tampines, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – What should have been an auspicious day turned out to be an ill-fated one for a Taoist temple in Tampines. A fire at the Poh Ann Keng temple badly damaged the front hall, prayer altar and several statuettes on Saturday morning (Feb 9), the fifth day of Chinese New Year. The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it was alerted to the fire at 95 Tampines Link, the temple’s address, at around 6.50am. The fire involved the praying altar and was extinguished using one water jet, SCDF said.…

Read More
Singapore 

Burning smell in eastern Singapore due to fire at landfill in Johor: NEA, Singapore News

The National Environment Agency (NEA) has pinpointed the source of a burning smell in eastern Singapore to a fire at a Johor landfill. The spokesman said that during NEA’s checks, it also reached out to the Department of Environment (Johor), who confirmed on Saturday morning (Feb 9) that there had been a fire at a landfill in Bandar Tenggara, in south-eastern Johor. “The fire has been burning since Feb 5, 2019, and the Malaysian authorities have been working around the clock to stop the burning,” he added. NEA confirmed that…

Read More
Singapore 

E-scooter led to fire in Cashew Road flat on Monday night, injuring 3 people, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – The fire that broke out in a Cashew Road flat on Monday night (Feb 4), injuring three people, started from an electric scooter placed in one of the bedrooms. The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) released preliminary investigation findings on the fire at Block 132 Cashew Road in an update on its Facebook page on Tuesday. Three people were taken to hospital and about 100 residents evacuated after the fire broke out in the sixth floor unit at about 8.45pm. Firefighters put out the blaze using a water…

Read More
Singapore 

MP Sun Xueling’s fire safety video narrated in fluent Hokkien wins praise, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – A two-minute Facebook video on fire safety tips by MP Sun Xueling has been receiving praise after she posted it on Thursday (Jan 31). In the video, the Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Home Affairs and National Development gives fire safety tips to prevent home fires – in fluent Hokkien. The video focuses on three messages – not to stand too close to the stove when cooking, not to leave cooking unattended and to ensure there are no smoldering embers before disposing of lighted materials. Online comments praised her…

Read More
Singapore 

Residents evacuated, one taken to hospital after early morning fire at Pasir Ris, Singapore News

SINGAPORE – About 40 residentshad to evacuate their homes early Saturday morning (Jan 26) after a fire broke out at a Pasir Ris Housing Board block. The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said the fire, which took place at Block 782 Pasir Ris Street 71 around 3am, involved the contents of a bedroom. It was extinguished using two compressed air foam backpacks and a 38mm water jet. One resident from the unit where the fire started was taken to Changi General Hospital. MP for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC Teo Chee Hean…

Read More